Friday, January 3, 2014

I threw out my math curriculum.


When I was busy planning out my "curriculum" for this year, I wrote a post about what I'd be using for math. That post has been pinned hundreds of times on Pinterest, and if it helps some parent out there who is feeling overwhelmed with homeschooling their child(ren), then I'm really happy.

However... the curriculum I planned on using has hardly been cracked open and the schedule I was to follow has been thrown out the window.

So what have we done instead?

We've watched BrainPop Junior videos about math.

We've worked in our BrainQuest workbooks and printed off worksheets from Education.

We've played Chutes & Ladders, Connect 4, and Checkers.

We've played iPad games like, Moose Math, Todo Telling Time, and Number Run.

We've played online at Starfall and PBS Kids.

We've kept a calendar on the wall, counting days, weeks, months, and years.

We've asked each other math problems over dinner, which then leads to working out math problems on the chalkboard before bed.

We've read math books that we've checked out from the library. (Here's a favorite.)

Like I said, I have hardly cracked open the Singapore Math curriculum I planned to use.

And you know what? My daughter is 5 years old and she's doing math at a 2nd grade (dare I say 3rd grade for some concepts!) level.

Now, I would like to take all the credit, but to be honest, I think math just comes easily for her. She gets it. And while she still doesn't have all her "math facts" memorized, she easily grasps new concepts. If she has a number line or abacus, she can work math problems with up to 4 digits - with carrying.

I'm looking at using Teaching Textbooks when we start a new school year this fall. I've looked over their placement test and I'll pretty sure that by the end of this spring, she'll be able to pass it and start their 3rd grade level math (the lowest grade level they offer).

Listen, I'm not trying to brag about how smart my kid is (well... I AM her mother...), but I just want you know that you don't have to buy some expensive curriculum to teach your young children. (Thank goodness I bought the Singapore Math curriculum used.) Kids - especially young kids - can learn in many, many ways. Surround them with math - in television shows, books, computer games, board games, and everyday life - and they will be learning without having a clue that is what they're doing. 

I want to be honest with you. I want you to know if I'm following through with my plans, or throwing them in the air. I definitely threw out our math curriculum... and I think we're doing better because of it.

Have you switched things up in the middle of the year? Have you figured out what works (with math) for your kids? Let me know!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing this! I am looking into what we are going to use for math this fall and I was looking over curriculums only to realize that they teach things that would be really easy for me to teach my son without having to spend hundreds of dollars to do so!

    ReplyDelete