Monday, November 19, 2012

The Tower Apartment is Coming Along

I promise I'm still here. Life is just busy. And, in a delightfully good way. More about life in general later.... 

Right now, I want to share some pictures with you. Pictures of our house tower apartment. I've never lived in an apartment before... and never have I lived in military housing. And while it has its drawbacks, there are a lot of good things about it too. For instance, we live on the 9th floor - the top floor - and because of that, we rarely have to turn on our heat. It's always warm up here and it's wonderful. We also enjoy not having a rent payment or utility bills every month. We've met a lot of neighbors and our apartment was spotless and well-maintained when we moved in. 

However, it's still a tower apartment owned by the military. It was spotless because it's all easily-wiped-clean tile. Tile floors, tile kitchen, tile bathroom. And white walls everywhere. I've tried my best to make it into a cozy home, but there is still work to be done. Anyway... here's a peek into our home. Enjoy!

Our living room. I'm still trying to figure out how to make it more cozy in here.  I've also got a lot of empty frames to fill, but hey, at least they're up and on the wall. 

Something needs to go above that piano....

I've already bought some baskets for the top row of shelves on the sofa table, and I've changed up a few frames on the short wall to the right of the TV. 
Since this picture was taken, I managed to hem the curtains. They look a TON better. We also moved the dining room table perpendicular to the couch.

My girls' bedroom.

Wish I could splurge on a larger rug to cover those floors. And, I am always on the lookout for a wider table to use for a double-nightstand. 

The girls' closet. We have not had a dresser for them. Ever. And I always like to have their clothes within their reach so that they can learn to dress themselves.

We didn't want to paint, so I looked for other options. The color in the photo is a little off, but the curtains are  a deep eggplant purple. And I'm still searching for a great rug to go in here.

The master bath. Limited options since we can't paint tile and can't nail anything on the walls....

Welcome to the girls' playroom. We'd eventually like to get rid of that loveseat and get a smaller futon or sofa bed for guests. Won't be hard to find small furniture in Japan....

The closet was wasted space, so I took off the doors and stuck the play kitchen there.

Still need to get some more colorful things on the wall.


So, there are still a few things to be done, but I can worry about all of that stuff later. I'm just glad to have a space that feels more like "home" to us. The girls seem to like it and really, the biggest problem I have to worry about now is where the heck I'm going to put my Christmas tree this weekend. :) I will add some more pictures of the whole house - including the kitchen, hall bath, and tweaks that I've done throughout the house since taking these original pic - once we get out some Christmas decorations. Thanks for checking in on us!

1 comment:

  1. Looking cozy! Love the sofa table and lamps! Master bedroom has a nice warm feel to it; great color! Rugs Will add some warmth to both bedrooms :) There are some great groupons out for Print to Canvas, since you have that amazing camera and take such great pics... but not sure the free shipping would apply to Japan! ha.

    ReplyDelete