Monday, May 14, 2012

I want for nothing.

My husband will probably laugh at me when he finds out that this post came about as a result of watching "Meet Joe Black," and many of you might too. But there is a scene at the end of the movie where William Parish blows out his birthday candle and says this:

"I'm going to break precedence and tell you my one candle wish: that you would have a life as lucky as mine, where you can wake up one day and say, 'I don't want anything more.'"

It was just a scene in a movie, but in that moment, I realized that at 26 years old, I've reached that same point. Don't take those words the wrong way. I want to live to be 100 years old. I want to see my children grow up and have children of their own. And I want to use my life - however long it may be - to make a difference in the lives of others.

When my grandfather died, I was holding his hand and stroking his beautiful white hair. I got to the hospital room within minutes of his passing. When he realized I was there, he tried to focus his eyes on me and attempted to say, "I love you," in jumbled speech between his difficult breaths. To this day, being with him while he died was one of the few moments in life that I'm most grateful for - right up there with my wedding and the birth of my children. The love felt in that room, between all of us, was indescribable.

At the risk of sounding cliche, love is the most important thing we experience in this life. Love is the only thing I'll be able to take with me when I'm leaving this world. It was the only thing I felt like I could send with my grandfather, wherever he was going.

I have experienced what it's like to love someone unconditionally. I imagine that the love I feel for my children is the same as the divine love that people associate with God. It comes so naturally.... I have loved my children, my husband, my family and my friends. And even better, I have felt loved by all those in return. I don't imagine that there could be anything else I would wish for when it comes down to it. Anything else - travel, a big house, fancy car, good career - is just an added blessing.



When you realize that you have experienced the best that life has to offer, you don't really need much else. It's a very cozy and comfortable place to be. A place I hope everyone can get to.




Thank you, Papa, for helping me learn this.

No comments:

Post a Comment