Friday, May 13, 2011

Why the blog?

I always knew I wanted to have children, but it never really crossed my mind that I would become a stay-at-home mother. Since I can remember, I have planned on having a career. All of that changed, however, when I had two beautiful daughters. After the birth of my second daughter, my husband only had about a year and a half left in medical school before we'd be moving for his residency. Staying at home just seemed like the best thing for our family.

I've always been a perfectionist, so naturally, I thought I was going to be the best stay-at-home mom possible. THAT, however, has been my downfall. I am NOT a very good stay-at-home mom. I know for a fact that I'm a fantastic mother, but being a stay-at-home mom is an occupation - and one that I wasn't initially cut out for. I'm one of those people that LOVES to be in school. After college, I got accepted to a Ph.D. program and thankfully, (it wasn't a great program) used my first pregnancy to get out and get into a Masters program, finishing my degree a month after having my second baby. I just love learning and it never occurred to me that it might be somewhat of a shock to stay at home with kids after being in school for 20 years.

So... here I am. I don't do crafts with my kids every day. I don't always cook them healthy meals. I don't play all day with them. And I definitely have the TV a lot in our home. All those things are things I THINK I'd like to change. Since my husband is only going to be guaranteed one year at his next job location, we don't know if we'll be staying or moving and I feel like it's more trouble than it's worth to try and find a job to further my career. It looks like "SAHM" might permanently be on my business card at some point. At this season in my life, being at home with my kids is my job and I want to treat it like one. If you're reading this and feel the same way, tag along as I try to figure out what the heck I'm doing and pass along my successes and failures to all of you. And please, chime in when you can.

No comments:

Post a Comment